Friday, May 10, 2013

MESSAGE FROM PRIME MINISTER JULIA GILLARD



PRIME MINISTER CANBERRA

MOTHER’S DAY CLASSIC 2013

I send my warmest best wishes to everyone across Australia who is celebrating Mother’s Day. I know some mums will be marking the day with a hand-made card and a noodle necklace, breakfast in bed or an autumn picnic.

But for a remarkable group of women, Mother’s Day will be spent out walking and running to support breast cancer research, to honour those who have survived this gruelling disease, and to remember those who no longer share this day with us.

I truly appreciate the Mother’s Day Classic and I’ve joined in it myself because – like so many Australians – I’ve had friends and loved ones who’ve faced the reality of this dreadful disease, and the Classic gives you a great feeling of making a difference, however small it might seem.

So best of luck also to everyone pulling on the running shoes for this year’s Mother’s Day Classic events, in Ballarat and Broome, in Jindabyne and Gympie, and just about everywhere in between.

I’m certain that every family that has been touched by breast cancer will be cheering you on, as will I.

There couldn’t be a better way to mark Mother’s Day than by bringing closer the time when women need not fear breast cancer anymore.

The Honourable Julia Gillard

Prime Minister of Australia

No comments:

Post a Comment